Mercy Academy Campus Upgrades for Fall 2017
State-of-the-art additions to Evans Park and Stock Yards Bank Theatre
Through the generosity of an anonymous donor and many members of our Mercy community, we are thrilled to announce we have campus upgrades that will be ready by the fall of 2017! The Mercy Stock Yards Bank Theatre and Evans Park athletic fields will receive numerous renovations to better the facilities and provide more opportunities for our students. We thrive as a small school with big opportunities inside and outside the classroom. Thus, these upgrades will allow our students to excel in all aspects of a well-rounded education.
The upgrades to Mercy's Stock Yards Bank Theatre include:
- Acoustic treatment to the ceiling and walls to absorb external noise.
- New flooring with portable risers that provide a variety of performance and stage configurations.
- Sconce lighting that offers an authentic theatre look and feel.
- A sound and light control booth with better access and usage located just above the highest portable riser.
- Additional lighting systems that allow for greater flexibility and variety of productions.
For those involved in our theatre program, these upgrades are extremely exciting!
“Our theatre program is blossoming. We involve students in all aspects of production,” Michael Johnson, Mercy's president, said. “These enhancements will provide students with the space and tools necessary for maximum learning and the best possible experience for all, while still maintaining a very flexible space that can serve the needs of the school in many ways.”
Our theatre director, Amanda Simmons, also anticipates the renovations. “The upgrades coming to our theatre are very exciting! It's an incredible opportunity for the growth of the department, and it will be wonderful to see how they transform our space!”
Evans Park will upgrade the softball field, the main turf field and track. These updates include:
- Two press boxes: one for McAuley Field (softball) and one for the turf field and track. An observation deck will also be included at the top of the turf field’s press box for videography and photography opportunities.
- Two state-of-the-art sound systems to allow the National Anthem to play at the start of all games.
- Stadium seating that will include Mercy blue chair backs for comfort and school spirit.
“I’ve always had the opinion that if you’re not moving forward, you’re moving backward,” Mark Evans, athletic director at Mercy said, “and this is definitely moving forward for Mercy. This project will provide a stadium-like feel for our student-athletes and fans and an atmosphere like no other.”
Mr. Johnson added, “Additional seating, sound systems and press boxes for the softball field, turf field and track will allow us to accommodate larger crowds, particularly for regional contests, and provide a quality experience for all. Evans Park is a premier high school outdoor sports venue with a central location that is rapidly becoming a favored site for competitions of all sorts. It is also a great resource for area Catholic grade schools and the entire Metro Louisville area.”
We will break ground over the summer of 2017 so that all renovations are complete by the first day of the 2017-2018 school year.