Mission & Educational Philosophy
The Academy of Our Lady of Mercy, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, exists to serve young women by:
- Providing a quality Catholic education within a caring faith community;
- Offering an academic curriculum which provides opportunities for all learners to excel;
- Empowering young women to be responsible leaders in service to others;
- Offering the opportunity to build a sense of community with students of diverse abilities and backgrounds;
- Providing academic and real-life experiences that prepare them for life and work in an age of rapid change.
A Woman of Mercy is:
- Rooted in the values of Jesus;
- Well-educated and self-disciplined;
- Enriched by diversity;
- Compassionate and generous;
- Able to lead and willing to serve;
...who graciously shares these values with others.
- The major concern of Mercy Academy is the individual student. We strive to develop each student to her greatest potential by providing her with an environment for maximum growth, at a level commensurate with her abilities.
- We strive to develop in each individual a sense of responsibility to herself, community, and society. Each young woman is encouraged to pass on the spiritual, cultural, social, and intellectual heritage which has been entrusted to her keeping.
- We believe the prime responsibility of each student is to learn how to learn and think critically. Our goal is a self-motivated learner who is interested in expanding her knowledge and who is capable of applying what she knows to human problems.
- We teach each student an awareness of the religious and ethical dimensions of life so that her talents and knowledge will be used with wisdom, compassion, and integrity.
- We strive to create in each student a sense of her own power and identity as an emerging adult, with self-confidence and a knowledge of her strengths and limitations.
- Concern for Individual Growth and Development
- Personal and Social Responsibility
- Lifelong Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Real-life Applications and Problem-Solving
- Faith in Action
- Confidence, Capability and a Healthy Sense of Self