Job Title: Mercy President
Reports To: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Mercy Administration and Staff
The Academy of Our Lady of Mercy, a Catholic high school for young women sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, seeks a leader to be its next president, effective June 1, 2019, following the retirement of its current president after 25 years as head of school.
Founded in 1885, Mercy is deeply rooted in the values and traditions of the Sisters of Mercy. It is widely known, most recently, as the first STEM-accredited all-girls school in the country. Mercy takes pride in its individualized, family-like atmosphere with an ability to bring excellent results to a diverse population with varied aspirations. Students receive a powerful learning experience in a wide variety of high-performing areas. As a college preparatory school with an award-winning visual and performing arts program, a nationally recognized service learning and leadership program, and championship sports in a variety of areas, students receive an exceptional well-rounded education which prepares them as highly creative, critical thinkers for the 21st Century.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Mercy’s President role is a complex role with a focus to ensure continuous growth, financial integrity and operational excellence throughout the organization. The president will demonstrate his/her commitment to the traditions and values of education and the Sisters of Mercy, community engagement and operational success. Leadership credibility is important as this role holds high standards of integrity as a Catholic organization. Previous experience in executive leadership at a secondary school, college or corporation; with the ability to advance the mission, engage external stakeholders and donors, oversee the Executive Leadership Team and day-to-day operations, and interact with the Board of Trustees are key attributes.
Mission and Faith Formation:
- A practicing Catholic with a commitment to ongoing formation in catechetical and spiritual leadership development.
- Maintains a collegial relationship with Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Louisville and monitors compliance of Archdiocesan policies.
- Ensures that Mercy Academy and its employees carry out all aspects of the faith mission of Catherine McAuley, foundress of the Sisters of Mercy.
- Has an understanding of and the ability to communicate the mission of the Sisters of Mercy, promote and support active participation in the programs and services of the Mercy Education System of the Americas (MESA) for the Board, administration, faculty and staff.
- Fosters opportunities for faith formation for all stakeholder groups.
- Ensures that the Catholic dimension of the school is developed and advances the mission of the school to alumnae, the Board of Directors, and the external stakeholder community.
- Commitment to the traditions of education, service, and social justice of the Sisters of Mercy, the credibility to lead and represent with integrity a Catholic organization.
External Stakeholder Engagement:
- Seeks to enlist long-term interest and enduring support from foundations, corporations, benefactors, parents, alumnae and the public at large.
- Serves as chief spokesperson for the school in marketing and advancing the mission of the school to the public.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders, build creative and mutually beneficial relationships within the philanthropic, corporate, public, governmental and non-profit sectors, as well as the parent/student communities the school serves.
Long-term Strategic Planning:
- Demonstrates innovative strategic thinking by capitalizing on future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Grow and maintain a secure endowment to meet the financial and program needs for students. Campaign experience is preferred.
- Cultivates organizational effectiveness and manages strategic and long-range planning and advancement goals in cooperation with the Board of Directors and Principal.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of the religious, demographic and socioeconomic composition of the school’s market area as it impacts the school and its future.
- Coordinates a Board-approved long-range plan for the school, ensuring that institutional resources are focused on delivering the desired outcomes.
Capacity Building and Advancement – Human, Operations, Financial:
- Oversees and works with the Director of the Advancement Office to ensure the established goals set by the budgeting process and strategic plan are achieved.
- Ensures the development and implementation of a recruitment and marketing plan for the school.
- Supervises fiscal operations and works with the Director of Finance to ensure legal and accounting standards are fulfilled and resources are allocated in accord with approved budges, policy and goals.
- Oversees school policy regarding the administration of financial aid and tuition collection.
- Works with the Director of Finance regarding implementation of compensation and benefits policies.
- Oversees and works with the Principal to ensure the educational programs of the school meets required standards and achieves strategic and annual goals in accord with the mission and philosophy of the Academy.
- Oversees and works with the Director of Facilities and others to develop and implement plans and policies in accord with the master facilities plan.
Internal Stakeholder Engagement and Responsibilities:
- Models a high standard of ethics by understanding Mercy’s mission and values in word and practice.
- Oversees goals for the performance of the Principal, Director of Finance, Director of Advancement, Director of Facilities and the President’s Executive Secretary.
- Demonstrates respect, compassion and confidentiality for each individual student and her family.
- Recognizes the importance of parental involvement in the life of the Academy and communicates as needed regarding success and school issues.
- Maintains a secure and trusting environment for their daughters.
- Supports student endeavors in academics, sports, service, fine arts and the STEM curriculum, and identifies student leaders within the student community.
- Consults with the Principal regarding performance of faculty as needed.
- Partners with the faculty and staff to provide and accept comments in a constructive manner.
- Maintains a secure and trusting work environment for faculty and staff.
Ex Officio Board Member Responsibilities:
- Works with the Board of Directors to formulate appropriate policy for the school as determined by the Board of Directors.
- Submits personal annual performance objectives and goals to the Board for its approval at the beginning of the school fiscal year.
- Shares pertinent information promptly and accurately.
- Ensures the implementation of all Board policies.
- Annually prepares and presents a written “State of the School” address for the Board of Directors which offers recommendations for future growth and development.
- Works with the Board in recommending new Board appointments and ensures appropriate orientation.
Educational Oversight and Guidance:
- Reviews and provides input prior to dissemination of all editions of the Faculty/Staff and Student Handbooks.
- Ensures academic policy is upheld.
- Ensures proper oversight of the student recruitment effort of the school.
- Ensures fulfillment of accreditation standards and processes.
- Works with others to fulfill legal requirements at the local, state and federal level.
- Works with others to fulfill sponsorship criteria as specified by Mercy Education System of the Americas (MESA).
Educational, Leadership and General Expectations:
- Demonstrates the ability to assess quickly what is needed in an emergency situation and acts with confidence.
- Takes action on new opportunities and challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
- Builds effective teams who apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Gains confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Demonstrates high-level interpersonal skills, strategic planning expertise and knowledge of educational improvement.
- Versed in a wide variety of technology and able to manage multiple needs and initiatives at once.
- Participates in professional organizations and appropriate professional development activities.